Making these Laddoos was more than just a process.It brought back memories of fun filled times in the kitchen with Mom as she sautéed the semolina ever so gently making sure to not burn it.The sweet aroma of the semolina in the Ghee wafted through every corner of the house.I patiently watched her mix all the other ingredients and waited for her to ask me to help her roll them at the end.The laughter,the mess,the rolling of these balls,the taste testing all have their own little importance in this vastness of life.I’m thankful to my Mom for teaching me the importance of these little tiny moments that have stayed with me till today.I also believe that food plays such an important role in all this.Mom’s cooking has always been amazing and even though I try to recreate her recipes in my own kitchen, they always lack the same depth of flavor.Maybe its just her love that makes foods taste so good!
As a Mom to two kids myself, I can see my kids’ memories shaping up around food too.We spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen during the weekends where they like to step in and help me in whatever I do and I love to surprise them by making their favorite foods and see their happy faces light up!These Semolina Balls were quite the surprise since I don’t make Indian Desserts that often and I know they’re not going to last long!
The use of coconut oil is what’s unique about this recipe and I can’t seem to get enough of it lately!Traditionally you would use Ghee to make any Indian Dessert, but if you’re using Coconut the use of Coconut Oil makes sense.
Soft,moist and delicious these Laddoos are healthier and a perfect dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth!I love the crunch from the almonds and the toasted coconut along with the nutty semolina and I think this would make any Mom happy 🙂
Happy Mother’s Day to all the wonderful Moms out there!Our Mother’s Day event is organized by the lovely Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks and you’ve got to see the wonderful menu we have!
Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream fromNeighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Don’t forget to join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter today to celebrate Mother’s Day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Do you have your ticket to the Food and Wine Conference yet? If not, there will be a special $100 discount available tonight only on the full conference pass if you participate in the #SundaySupper twitter chat from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time, and purchase your ticket during the chat. The discount code is: SundaySupper. We hope to see you there!