Happy Second Birthday Sunday Supper!Its hard to believe that it’s been two years since Sunday Supper began.I’m so inspired by all our talented chefs,cooks,writers,moms who’ve been a part of our Sunday Supper group and learn from them all the time.We’re growing each day and its just great fun to get together and cook for our families.Thanks to Isabel for creating this diverse group and carrying this movement forward.
I joined Sunday Supper in May 2012 with this recipe and it has been an amazing journey.There have been many memorable moments but one stands out clearly and that was during Hurricane Sandy when we all came together and dedicated our posts to the people affected by it.Our neighborhood was also affected although not as badly as the coastal areas of New Jersey, but in our own way our Sunday Supper group raised awareness and asked people to donate to the organizations that were helping in the rescue efforts.This shows the other side of our group where we don’t just talk about food but also help,support and care for our communities.
I’m sharing with you an all time favorite recipe to honor this occasion.I’m extremely fortunate to have grown-up in a family where special delicacies like these were a regular feature.Thanks to my Dad, I ate home cooked Biryani almost every Sunday and Kebabs like these were served when my parents entertained (which again was pretty often).
Shami Kebab is indigenous to the city of Nawabs-Lucknow in the state of Uttar Pradesh in India and was introduced by the Moghuls. Its traditionally made using Ground Goat Meat, but I’ve used Ground Chicken over here.The meat is first boiled with Split Pea Lentils (Chana Dal) along with some whole spices and then ground to make a paste.The paste is then mixed with egg, mint and cilantro and shaped into round patties to be fried until golden.Its definitely a dish for a special occasion and I thought it would be perfect for our celebration!The subtle flavors from the spices,the sweetness of the mint and the smooth texture is what makes this extra special.Its succulent,moist and insanely delicious served alongside some Mint Chutney.Enjoy.
This event is hosted by the lovely Liz from That Skinny Chick can Bake and we’ve got some amazing stories and recipes shared by our group!
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Pizza Dip from The Food Army Wife
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.